Preliminary election results on the Cuyuna Range

Preliminary election results on the Cuyuna Range

By Linda Peeples

                  While the presidential election is still too close to call (as of 2 a.m. Wednesday morning), area and local general election results are available. Polling places on the Cuyuna Range reported record numbers of voters waiting in line for an hour or more in some locations to vote. Additionally, a large number of mail-in or absentee ballots were received this year. All totals are preliminary.

                  U.S. Senate: Tina Smith with 48.95 percent of the vote to Jason Lewis’ 43.41 percent.

                  U.S. House Representative: Pete Stauber held on to his seat with 56.2 percent of the vote. His opponent, Quinn Nystrom received 38.08 percent.

                  At the state level, State Senate District 9 returned Paul Gazelka to his seat with 74.6 percent of the vote. Challenger A. John Peters received 25.32 percent. In State House District 9A, Incumbent John Poston held on to his seat with 74.09 percent cast in his favor. Opponent Alex Herring received 25.77 percent of the vote. State House District 9B supported incumbent Ron Kresha with 75.29 percent while challenger Laura Wright received 24.57 percent of the vote.

                  In State Senate District 10 which includes Crow Wing and Aitkin Counties, Carrie Ruud was returned to office with 67.42 percent of the vote. State House Representative Josh Heintzeman from District 10A received 64.76 percent compared to challenger Dale Menk’s 35.15 percent. In District 10B, Dale Lueck will be returning to St. Paul with 69.37 percent of the vote while Gayleen Spolerich received 30.59 percent.

                  At the county level, Paul Koering received 86.53 percent of the vote for Crow Wing County Commissioner in District 1. In District 5 which includes Crosby, Deerwood and Ironton, Doug Houge was returned to office with 49.87 percent of the votes cast while Michael J. Starry received 41.65 percent. Tom Nixon declared himself a write-in candidate. 8.48 percent of the vote was cast for a write in candidate; however, the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Web site does not identify any write in candidate by name.

                  Local city elections include:

                  Crosby mayor: James J. Hunter, 385 votes; Rick Ferrari, 321 votes; Sierra McLean, 183 votes; Joanna Lattery, 172 votes and write in votes of 30.

                  Crosby council (vote for two): Shawn Jarvela, 546 votes; Paul Heglund, 473; Jim Traylor, 457; Don (Big Daddy) Keith, 158; Phillip (Doc) Mihoover, 91 and 22 write in votes.

                  Lloyd Brix was returned to the mayoral seat with 90.55 percent of the vote in Cuyuna. There were no declared candidates for city council but a total of 75 votes were cast for write in candidates.

                  Mike Aulie was once again elected as mayor of Deerwood.

                  Deerwood council (vote for two): Eric Ostrowski, 124 votes; Mari Kivisto, 119; Josiah Granholm, 92 and write in of 6 votes.

                  Emily mayor: Tracy Jones, 270 votes; Roger (Buddy) Lund, 255; Calen Spindler, 37 and 3 write in votes.

                  Emily council (vote for two): Gerhart “Gary” Hanson, 287 votes; Mary Eppen, 277; Bill Spiess, 192; Donna R. Jones, 174 and seven write ins

                  Greg Stanich ran unopposed for Ironton mayor. He received 95.85 percent of the vote with write in(s) making up the other 4.15 percent.

                  Ironton council (vote for two): Shawn Hamdorf, 114 votes; Eric Heglund, 112 votes; Lee Henrichs, 110 votes; Regina Radinovich, 89 votes and 11 write in votes were cast.

                  In the race for Crosby-Ironton School District Board (vote for three), results were: Joe Dwyer, 3,379 votes; Abby Geotz, 2,972; Kim Coughlin, 2,945; Tommy Sablan, 2,543 and 98 write ins.

                  The following will take seats on the Cuyuna Range Hospital District: Tommy Sablan from Crosby; Brian S. Blom, Deerwood Township; Leslie McCoy, Fairfield Township; Joe Dwyer, Ironton; David Kauphusman, Little Pine Township; Brian Dobson, Riverton and Jonathan (Jon) Wittnebel at large. Fifty Lakes and Rabbit Lake Township both recorded votes for write in candidates.

                  Additional election results will be available in the Wednesday, Nov. 11 edition of the C-I Courier and updates will be posted on the Courier Facebook page.

                  For up to date information on election results, go to the Minnesota Secretary of State Web site at SOS.State.MN.US